Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: Royal Parks, London

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Royal Parks, London

After several refusals for geocaching on their London Parks and then lobbying by a London cacher, I was invited for a meeting with their Deputy CEO, Head of Policy and a Sergeant from the Met Police.

They listened to the background and descriptions of geocaching and also to details of other landowner agreements eg NT and Met Police.

Unfortunately they felt that the proximity of the Parks to high security targets such as Government, Embassies and individuals would mean that geocaching in the parks would result in reports of suspicious behaviour and more "Stop and Searches".

They have therefore refused permission for caching in their parks.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Shame.
    Thanks for the work.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Quote Originally Posted by The Wombles View Post
    They have therefore refused permission for caching in their parks.
    I thought they were "our" parks? Tax paying public and all that......

Ah well, it doesn't really affect me, but it's a shame to see any blanket bans come in to force, especially after all the effort that is put in to trying to get an agreement. Cheers for trying Dave.
    Cheers,
    Stuey

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    I thought they were "our" parks? Tax paying public and all that......
    Unfortunately not. There is no right of access for the general public - only "grace and favour"

Be careful with that camera as well!
    http://photographernotaterrorist.org/

Photography is under attack. Across the country it that seems anyone with a camera is being targeted as a potential terrorist, whether amateur or professional, whether landscape, architectural or street photographer.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

I have submitted a Petition to the Prime Minister for approval, as soon as it is listed I will post the link on here for those who wish to sign.

Following the ban I contacted the CEO of the ROyal PArks via EMail and have today recieved this reply:
    <quote>
    Dear Mr Mullans

Thank you for your email to Mark Camley. I can understand your disappointment that we do not allow geocaching in the Royal Parks. This is a longstanding policy and is not, as you imply, a new restriction. There are security and environmental reasons why we maintain this. This agency does not hold details of the number of stop and searches that have taken place relating to this activity, as enforcement issues are a matter for the police. However the police fully support the policy and agree that to allow geocaching in the estate could present security risks and resource pressures.

You mention Richmond and Bushy Parks. Richmond Park is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest, National Nature Reserve and as a European Special Area of Conservation. Burying a cache in the Park is actually an offence both under the Royal Parks Regulations and the Wildlife and Countryside Act. Earlier this year park staff discovered a large geocache which had been left at the base of a veteran oak tree. Whilst the person who put it there probably thought they were doing no harm, disturbance to this sensitive habitat is not acceptable. We are seeking similar protective SSSI designation for Bushy Park.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write and I am sorry that I am unable to give you a more positive reply.
    <end of quote>

So all in all it is not looking good for Bushy Park in the future.

Maybe a letter to the Queen would move things along.... or several, having obtained permission from the two parks themselves where I have caches, I passed all their risk assessments. I for will be writing... Maxkim

It was a very good try, but the police do have a fair point. There is too much stop and search of innocent tourists in the Capital. Recently saw a 'stereotypical' Railway enthusiast being questionned by 4 policemen at Kings Cross!

On the other hand, if caching in the central parks is a bad idea, then maybe lets consider some of the dodgy activities that occur in the outlying parks such as Bushy. I hardly ever see police around there!
    He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit.

How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits Hes lost?

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. - TS ELLIOT